These natural extracts of plants have long played a vital role in our lives. From the times of the ancient Ayurveda to the Unani and the Chinese, to luxurious beauty products and perfumes that are produced – essential oils are an important ingredient of them all.
The good thing is these oils are super effective, can be used in a lot of versatile ways, hold multiple benefits, are cost effective and pocket-friendly, and are absolutely natural. These oils can either be applied topically on the ailing areas of the body, or as used in the aromatherapy; can be mixed with water or other herbal concoctions and ingested, or can be diffused into the air and their fumes can be inhaled.
Of course, every essential oil has its own properties and may function and respond to one’s body differently. It is important that you learn about the different types of essential oils before indulging into the natural therapies.
Almost any or every ailment in the world can expect some sort of relief and aid from essential oils. However, it is always advised that you consult your physician before using the oil in your daily routine. Also, always conduct a patch test or use it for a short while to ensure there are no side effects on your health. Pregnant & nursing women and children below the age of six are advised to not use essential oils.
The 3 must have essential oils you should not be without. Read on to find out more about their uses and benefits in your day to day life and their impact on your overall health.
The most revered name in the essential oil world is the name of the magical essential oil of the lavender plant. Blessed with healing and therapeutic properties and a mesmerizing aroma, this oil is number one on our list of must have essential oils.
Benefits of lavender essential oil:
The essential oil of lavender offers a multitude of functions and is widely used across the world in aromatherapies. The oil has antidepressant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Pour three to four drops of lavender oil on cotton swabs and place it in your wardrobe to keep moths and insects away.
- Diffuse the oil into the air using a diffuser and inhale the pleasant fumes to shed off your weariness. This would calm your nerves down and help you sleep better.
- Add a few drops of lavender oil to sunflower oil. Repel mosquitos by spritzing this mixture all over your body.
- Add a few drops of the oil to a humidifier and let the fumes relieve your stuffy nose.
- Spritz a few drops all over your pillow or your bedding and get ready for a peaceful night sleep.
- Use the oil to soothe acne and fight blemishes.
- Apply the oil topically on skin in case of insect bites and let the healing and regenerative properties of the oil heal your skin.
The second most important oil to have is the essential oil of frankincense. This historical renowned lotion has been used across cultures for many religious purposes. The oil holds its roots to the times of the Christ and the Tutankhamen king.
Benefits of Frankincense oil:
- Add the essential oil of frankincense in your lotion or soap, and keep acne at bay.
- The oil helps in calming burns, cuts, scrapes, and rashes.
- The oil is believed to eliminate negative energy from the user’s aura. Use it in aromatherapy for a refreshing massage that not only purifies your skin but also nullifies the negativity around you.
- Researchers are studying frankincense oil in cancer treatments.
- Mix frankincense oil with coconut oil and rub it on your or your child’s feet. This will help boost energy and let you sleep comfortably through the night.
- Diffuse the oil in your room and enjoy the aroma that will uplift your mood.
- Rub the oil on your wrists, behind your ears and your temples to help during stressful moments.
- Use the oil of frankincense over your stretch marks for a quick recovery. The oil has regenerative properties and improves blood circulation that helps in reducing the marks and promotes a healthier skin.
- Adding a few drops of frankincense oil to your bath and soaking in this water for 20 – 25 minutes can help you alleviate menstrual pain.
Note: Use the best quality i.e. high grade frankincense essential oil in order to see visible results.
The last oil on your list of must have essential oils is the Lemon essential oil. Don’t we all love the citrusy smell of lemon? Well, the oil has a strong citrusy aroma and many health and home-cleansing benefits too. It can instantly uplift you and your surroundings.
Benefits of Lemon oil:
- Add a few drops of lemon oil to your home cleaning products for a fresh smell.
- Use the oil of lemon with your shampoo and let it cleanse your scalp and stimulate hair growth.
- Just put a drop of essential oil on your price tag and it will slide off easily.
- Wave off bad odor from your home or workplace by diffusing this oil in the air.
- Bid goodbye to chemical cleansers and use the essential oil of lemon to wipe off your skin.
- Sweet tooth causing weight gain? Not anymore. Just inhale the lemon essential oil and let its aroma do the work. Not only will it curb the desire to eat something sweet, it will also refresh you post lunch and energize you for a better day at work.
- Add a few drops of the lemon oil to a teaspoon of honey and let this mix reduce bad breath.
- Ingest a few drops of lemon oil with a teaspoon of honey and warm water when you feel under the weather. This concoction can also aid in digestion and help you get rid of heartburn.
- Pour a few drops of lemon essential oil in your bathing water and say goodbye to body odor. This also keeps skin allergies at bay.
- Lemon oil also helps in reducing cellulite.
Note: Do not use the essential oil of lemon when traveling in the sun as this can increase sun sensitivity and cause skin burns.